Monday, July 11, 2016

The Year I Met You - Cecelia Ahern


Jasmine loves two things: her sister Heather and her work. And when her work is taken away she has no idea who she is.

Matt loves two things: his family and the booze. Without them he hits rock bottom.

One New Year's Eve, their path collide. Both have time on their hands: both are at crossroads. But as the year unfolds, through moonlit nights and suburban days, an unlikely friendship slowly starts to blossom.

Memories do not last for ever, fresh memories erase off the old ones. Thinking out of control Jasmine turned into gardening to maintain control, thinking it would bend to her will, but realised that it will not. If we try to grow where something, even a part of us has died, we will experience sickness. It is better to move, uproot overselves and start afresh; then we will flourish. Miracles only grow where you plant them.

We do not know the other person, we do not know anything about their life, but if the person is not lonely in your company.

Which is the better song? " Paradise City" or " Love is a Battlefield".

Often the slow pace of change can be painful, lonely and confusing, but without us realising it happening, it happens. But it is thanks to the slowness that we remember the journey, we reserve the sense of where we were, where we are going and why. Destination completely unknown, we can value the crossing.

This wasn't just my journey, this wasn't just about me falling down and a man rescuing me, though I did trip and you fell and love did happen for me and was mended and repaired for you. This is about you and me, our fall and rise with the seasons, and about what happened when one door closed for both of us. I don't know if I would be this woman now if it weren't for you, and you may not even think you did anything. Most people in life don't have to actively do anything to change us, they simply need to be. I reacted to you. You affected me. You helped me. You were the oddest friendship, the kindest loaned ear.

You gave me your key. You did the same. I helped you help me, you helped me to help you, that's the way it must be or the very idea of help would be obsolete. I always thought that being helped was a loss of control, but you must allow someone to help you, you must want someone to help you, and only then can the act begin.

We are constantly evolving; I suppose I have always known that, but because I always knew that, I feared stopping, and it is ironic that it was only when I finally stopped that I moved the most. I know now that we never truly stop, our journey is never complete, because we will continue to floursih - just as when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfuly.



No comments: