Thursday, December 08, 2016

Top 10 tips to help with transitioning when thrown from your comfort zone



https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-i-learnt-from-being-made-redundant-jane-kneebone?trk=hp-feed-article-title-like

1) Leave with your dignity intact. Complete projects properly and do a handover if required.

2) Take a well-deserved holiday.

3) Make use of all the outplacement and job search services if you are offered them. I learnt a couple of good things from them.

4) Use the time off to think about what you really want to do and what your true values are. I now work in the not-for-profit sector and have never been happier at work.

5) Take any advice from head hunters and agents with a grain of salt. They all told me it would take at least 12 months to find work and it took me only 2.5 weeks.

6) The best advice I was given, by a very wise person, was only go forward and never look back. This advice meant no complaining about the past and what could have been. Move on… fast.

7) Keep in touch with the people you used to work with who you liked and enjoy spending time with. I find my old work buddies, who I class as friends, love to see me and invite me to all sorts of interesting things.

8) The world is in a state of flux so learn to live with ambiguity and the unknown. Don’t fight it, try to embrace it. I now love change and feel more alive.

9) Search for opportunities that you never did before. I have a voluntary role on a board now and am learning many new skills.

10) Get a life – work does not define you.

No comments: