Sunday, May 30, 2010

Free Hugs and Maa…

The modern Mother's Day is celebrated on various days in many parts of the world, most commonly in May or in March/April, as a day to honour mothers and motherhood. In the UK and Ireland, it follows the old traditions of Mothering Sunday, celebrated in March/April. In US, Second Sunday of May ….So also in many other countires…

My mother used to ask me what the most important part of the body is.
Through the years I would take a guess at what I thought was the correct Answer. When I was younger, I thought sound was very important to us as humans, so I said, 'My ears, Mommy.'

Then I told her, 'Mommy, sight is very important to everybody, so it must be our eyes.'

Then one year, my grandfather died. Everybody was hurt. Everybody was crying. Even my father cried. I remember that especially because it was only the second time I saw him cry.

My Mom looked at me when it was our turn to say our final good-bye to my Grandfather. She asked me, 'Do you know the most important body part yet, my dear?' I was shocked when she asked me this now. I always thought this was a game between her and me.

She looked down at me as only a mother can. I saw her eyes well up with tears. She said, 'My dear, the most important body part is your shoulder.'

I asked, 'Is it because it holds up my head?'

She replied, 'No, it is because it can hold the head of a friend or a loved one when they cry. Everybody needs a shoulder to cry on sometime in life, my dear. I only hope that you have enough love and friends that you will always have a shoulder to cry on when you need it.'

Then and there I knew the most important body part is not a selfish one. It is made for others and not for yourself. It is sympathetic to the pain of others.

People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will NEVER forget how you made them feel.


I remember having read this discussion between a mother and son.

A mother's joy begins when a tiny heartbeat is heard for the very first time, and a playful kick reminds her that she is never alone. And our life begins thus!!!

Why just one day, every day is hers...

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there ... and to everyone who's ever stepped in to do what moms do best - love, care and hug!

A mothers hug, help you forget half your sorrow….

No wonder, why Mata Amritanandamayi, has gained so much of popularity. She is famous for her hugs… when people, fell weeping into her lap, she used to hug them. Then the next person too wanted it… And so the habit picked up."
“Love creates smiling faces and compassionate hearts, and is expressed in sweet and pleasing words.” - Amma

Amma's hug is the greatest humanitarian work. I too believe that her embrace gives the inspiration and happiness to many ...



"Jadoo Ki Jhappi" ("magical hug") — a method of comfort taught to Munna by his mother ...was one of the striking features shown in the movie Munna Bhai MBBS a 2003 Bollywood comedy directed by Rajkumar Hirani and produced by Vidhu Vinod Chopra.




The Free Hugs campaign in its present form was started by Juan Mann on June 30, 2004, when he began giving out hugs in the Pitt St Mall in central Sydney. In the months prior to this, Mann had been feeling depressed and lonely as a result of numerous personal difficulties. However, a random hug from a stranger made an enormous difference...

It was so cool to see Ash and Payal hug each other on FB when they were down...

So cool right...Thanks for that....A hug indeed makes a difference...

No comments: