Monday, February 06, 2023

On Reading....Action, Knowledge and Ignorance

What is the use of reading the books? Bookish knowledge we cannot do anything, What we gain out of it, how do I change out of it, is what matters.

As children how often have we heard 'Reading without reflection, is like eating without digestion' .

Having been on a reading spree, I have decided, and I want to apply them into practise. So this year, there will be lot of books being revised. 

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference, living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; taking this world as it is and not as I would have it; trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will; so that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with You forever in the next. Amen.     

− Reinhold Niebuhr

Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 13, Verse 8-12

अमानित्वमदम्भित्वमहिंसा क्षान्तिरार्जवम् |

आचार्योपासनं शौचं स्थैर्यमात्मविनिग्रह: || 8||

इन्द्रियार्थेषु वैराग्यमनहङ्कार एव च |

जन्ममृत्युजराव्याधिदु:खदोषानुदर्शनम् || 9||

असक्तिरनभिष्वङ्ग: पुत्रदारगृहादिषु |

नित्यं च समचित्तत्वमिष्टानिष्टोपपत्तिषु || 10||

मयि चानन्ययोगेन भक्तिरव्यभिचारिणी |

विविक्तदेशसेवित्वमरतिर्जनसंसदि || 11||

अध्यात्मज्ञाननित्यत्वं तत्वज्ञानार्थदर्शनम् |

एतज्ज्ञानमिति प्रोक्तमज्ञानं यदतोऽन्यथा || 12||

BG 13.8-12: Humbleness; freedom from hypocrisy; non-violence; forgiveness; simplicity; service of the Guru; cleanliness of body and mind; steadfastness; and self-control; dispassion toward the objects of the senses; absence of egotism; keeping in mind the evils of birth, disease, old age, and death; non-attachment; absence of clinging to spouse, children, home, and so on; even-mindedness amidst desired and undesired events in life; constant and exclusive devotion toward Me; an inclination for solitary places and an aversion for mundane society; constancy in spiritual knowledge; and philosophical pursuit of the Absolute Truth—all these I declare to be knowledge, and what is contrary to it, I call ignorance.

No comments: