Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ah….Finally An Idiot Box…..



True, as said, I too agree, but also disagree, that TV is an Idiot box.. If the TV is used right, it can be a great source of relaxation and better yet, education. But with anything, moderation is the key.

One could just plop down in front of it and there is no interaction--anyone, could watch it.

I was sad, that the person who promised to give me TV just disappeared into thin air, not because, I did not get the TV, but because of the loss of trust, and here was another friend of mine, my Saroo...who gifted me this...Because of my sorrow??

Doordarshan, though the national channel, is the nick name for television in India…

Here goes the history by which it was introduced world wide...



1930 to 1939 : Red
1940 to 1949 : Light Red
1950 to 1959 : Orange
1960 to 1969 : Yellow
1970 to 1979 : Light Green
1980 to 1989 : Green
1990 to 1999 : Dark Green
No data



The first time images were transmitted electrically via early mechanical fax machines, including the pantelegraph, developed in the late 1800s. The concept of electrically-powered transmission of television images in motion, was first sketched in 1878 as the telephonoscope, shortly after the invention of the telephone. At the time, it was imagined by early science fiction authors, that someday that light could be transmitted over wires, as sounds were.

The idea of using scanning to transmit images was put to actual practical use in 1881 in the pantelegraph, through the use of a pendulum-based scanning mechanism. From this period forward, scanning in one form or another, has been used in nearly every image transmission technology to date, including television. This is the concept of "rasterization", the process of converting a visual image into a stream of electrical pulses.

In 1884 Paul Gottlieb Nipkow, a 23-year old university student in Germany, patented the first electromechanical television system which employed a scanning disk, a spinning disk with a series of holes spiraling toward the center, for rasterization. The holes were spaced at equal angular intervals such that in a single rotation the disk would allow light to pass through each hole and onto a light-sensitive selenium sensor which produced the electrical pulses. As an image was focused on the rotating disk, each hole captured a horizontal "slice" of the whole image.

And here goes the latest ones:



Lovely



Enchanting



Gorgeous

So which one is your favourate?


A teacher from Primary School asks her students to write an essay about
what they would like God to do for them...

At the end of the day, while marking the essays, she read one that made her very emotional.

Her husband, who had just walked in, saw her crying and asked her:- 'What happened?' *
*She answered- 'Read this. It is one of my students' essay.'

**'Oh God, tonight I ask you something very special: Make me into a television. I want to take its place and live like the TV in my house. Have my own special place, And have my family around ME. To be taken seriously when I talk.... I want to be the centre of attention and be heard without interruptions or questions. I want to receive the same special care that the TV receives even when it is not working.
Have the company of my dad when he arrives home from work, even when he is tired. And I want my mom to want me when she is sad and upset, instead of ignoring me...
And... I want my brothers to fight to be with me... I want to feel that family just leaves everything aside, every now and then, just to spend some time with me.
And last but not least, ensure that I can make them all happy and entertain> them...
Lord I don't ask you for much... I just want to live like a TV.' **

At that moment the husband said: - 'My God, poor kid. What horrible parents!'

The wife looked up at him and said:- 'That essay is our son's !!!*

No comments: