Saturday, July 25, 2015

DIGITAL DETOX



Thanks to technology...for all the good things that it has done to mankind...Guess it is how we use it that matter...Balance is the need of the hour; true we need trees to live and not wi-fi's ...



Reading a post of a friend in Facebook made me look into interent on more regarding this topic and courtesy technology this is the view:

Our ability to stay balanced in this time of exponential technological growth, and create healthy relationships with our digital devices is the need of the hour.

Everywhere you see people are all looking at their phones,texting,e-mails, taking pictures etc. This world can be a better place by communicating with the person beside you. I have been hurt many a times, when I have wanted to talk to people but they have been busy with their technology devices, so also I have hurt many of them - My Mother the most.

May I disagree with those who say no or criticise the technology devises, in a gentle way? I understand the sentiments expressed, there can be no substitute for living, breathing humanity. A real hug in real life from a real friend is worth more than a million 'likes' on facebook. But as long as we use social media to enhance real friendships I think it can be a power for good. I am talking to you right now, through this media, it doesn't mean I can't have friends in real life, it means we can keep in touch with each other, share our thoughts, our dreams, our photos, and where appropriate, our news, when we are apart. We can support each other in times of need. I see the photos of cousins and friends at the other side of the world, and I can share their lives in a way that was impossible before. Used properly, facebook, Whats app,Skype,you tube, twitter etc are a power for good. It's not the medium that matters, it's the people who use it.

Yes, technology has helped us in many ways, made our job easier, everything easier but the easier it becomes the more we forget how much struggle we had to do before technology. But what really bothers me is the future of the kids today, they barely go out anymore, they stay indoors and would rather play games on the tab. What will be their childhood? All they can remember is those silly games, which you just tap and tap and I realize we'll be the last generation to go outdoors, get all sweaty, get your knees scraped, get sunburns and laugh like it's the best time of our life. And I don't want us to be the last, I want it to go on and on and on. Technology has many uses and it was made for us, but I guess we've crossed the line and are depended on it too much...

Developing a new code of ethics around technologies, creating social etiquette, setting positive cultural norms, and raising awareness around harmful habits while sharing the importance of mindfulness is urgent.

"These social networks will not "miss us" or "shed a tear" " - Agree- But we do not know who exactly our friend in need would turn out to be, this helps us to be connected. Indeed primarily we need to be focused on our important job - but for growth, it is important that we are connected. And in this age, where the world has shrunk to such a great extend, where we do not know, who is where next hour, what better way to be connected?

All said and done I really liked these statement of 'Rajesh Krishna' in Face book - Which I could read- Again Thanks to Technology.

"So, my friends on social media...

I dont want to know where you eat everyday, but do call me and tell me what food you love and what we can eat together....

I dont want to know where you went with your girlfriend, but definitely let me know over a call if she accepted your proposal and included you in her life....

I dont want to know how much you like someone or like something over the social media, but please let me know when you would like to get together to talk about the good times and the good deeds we would commit together....."

Sometimes doing all this in person is not feasible...and Technology would definitely help us do it...

No comments: