Friday, December 28, 2012

Sushupti.....



“Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

People say, 'I'm going to sleep now,' as if it were nothing. But it's really a bizarre activity. 'For the next several hours, I'm going to become unconscious, temporarily losing command over everything I know and understand and after sometime, I will resume my life...'

The people of ancient times have called the sleep that happens each day a mini-death. They have understood sleep to be a small glimpse of death. The deep sleep state is called Sushupti..Sleep is a glimpse of death. All surgical opeartions are performed after giving anaesthesia, as it takes you to sleep, which help you forget your pain.

Sleep has traditionally been called "death's sister." The Bible is filled with instances of people who are visited in their dreams by heavenly figures to convey an important message.

Sleep I do, even when I am afraid what my dream might bring. On April 30th I heard something like a blast, though it was some celebration over sports victory, I kept looking through the balcony of our new flat, and could see smoke at a distance, and slowly the fire, it kept comming closer. I wondered, what do it, should I jump or run down stairs? I thought, if I jump from 4th floor, I migh break my bones, and there is no time to run down, why not, just continue watching? And the fire passed away, not causing any damage to the building, but a great loss, around. I felt sad, because I could do nothing, but just stand and watch! I was surprised, but then after sometimes realised it was a dream!

Next day I got the book: Ten Thousand Dreams Interpreted, by Gustavus Hindman Miller.
and I love going through it, every now and then!


Sleep has seldom given me any issues. I can sleep standing in a running bus! Even when all at home have sleepless nights, worried, tensed, I am fast asleep, and all at home keep wondering how?


May be I am a sleepyhead, but yes there are things that I can and have spent countless nights on – books & Work; I have stayed up before exams, just to finish a book that engrossed me. ....I am as fit and active, working 24 hours, typing things, and ensuring that the deliverables are met.

And I sure do hope they remain the sole reasons for my sleepless nights in future too; also may I have the dreams, to forsee and bear what is to come .... until I embark on my permanent sleep, Death!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eat, Sleep and be merry...but please don't snore....

me ra said...

Soon after having return this.....I had to spend a whole sleepless night, on death!!!!!