Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Passion Vs. Purpose

 As I read


Our human ancestors did not have the luxury of “my job is my passion.” They had to survive. Imo, if we have a job we should be thankful. If we have a really good job that pays the bills + provides us time to do the wonderful things we love on our earth, then we are blessed. I know some people whose job is their passion and that job is more like an obsession in that it takes them away from their family, friends and really enjoying our earth. They just work, work, work.

People can have it all, but may not be at the same time:

Jobs
Careers
Professions
a Calling

All of them are worthy.  I think what matters most is the quality of your character, how you treat people, and how you can give back to others (who have something they need from you, but can never repay you) in your own thoughtful and generous way ❤️

This is just my opinion and I'm not forcing anyone else to think like this, but I'm pretty fed up with the whole "your career has to be your passion" crap. I like my job ok. My colleagues are the best part. I earn an ok living. It allows me the freedom and the flexibility to do things that I absolutely love. Running, hiking, being with friends, patios, a nice home with comforts, and lots of vacation time to do even more things I love. Why does everyone expect your job to be your passion? It's a total bonus if it is! but....shouldn't your LIFE be your passion? Again, just my opinion. Lucky if you have the perfect balance ...

- Your passions are not your purpose. You can bring your purpose to life through your passions, but they’re the purpose itself.

- You don’t have to quit your day job. Like your passions, you can bring your purpose to life through your job or your career - but you don’t have to. Your job can support your purpose outside of work, and that’s totally fine.

- You don’t have to save the world. A lot of people get caught up in thinking their purpose has to be something huge or world saving - but it’s usually something very simple...and that is ok! You loving your purpose, no matter how big or small, inspires others to do the same. You create a ripple effect, and that is how you can have a powerful impact on the world.

You’re doing great. You may change what you’re doing in the future (totally fine!), but for now it sounds like you have an incredible job that will let you explore your purpose outside of that. Perfect!

There’s plenty to be grateful for.  It’s a good enough job.  I’m not living paycheck to paycheck.  I can afford to have fun and take vacations.  But my job is not my passion.  And every story you see elevated on social media is: ‘I loved this thing.  It became my passion.  And then it became my career.’  There’s not many people saying: ‘My job isn’t my passion, but I love mountain biking on the weekends.  And that’s enough for me.’  I think the feeling I’m trying to resolve is a sense of ‘enoughness.’ There’s so much I love about my life, but I spend most of my time at work.  Is it OK to get my joy outside of work?  Or does my passion need to be tied to my livelihood and a sense of responsibility?”


No comments: