Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Silence - Thich Nhat Hanh

19th of 2021. A slow read so published late. Though started long before, completed only now. 

' Time is life'. 

The book talks about how Silence is not its mundane definition - the lack of sound. It illuminates the reader's mind by introducing 'Real Silence', the kind that calms or stills your mind by creating a void of thoughts.

We all have our own ways to be happy, however, the author enlightens us to a simple fact that breathing in and out while realizing our breath brings us back to the present, making it the easiest way to be truly joyful.

This book is a quick read, if you wish,  which will reveal some truths that will impact you deeply, but in case you wish to not down To Do's and learn, it might take some time. 

"If we can silence within ourselves, we can hear 5 true sounds: the sound of wonders of life; Sound of the One Who Observes the World - the sound of listening; the Brahma Sound - om; The sound of Rising Tide - voice of Buddha; the Sound That Transcends All Sounds of World." "How mindfulness is the practice that stops the noise inside so we could look deeply and find out who we are and what we want to do with our life. We have to give ourselves enough space and quite to become free. Silence allows for deep listening and mindful response, the keys to full and honest communication. If we haven't listened deeply to ourselves, we can't listen deeply to others.".. 

The chapters in the book is divided into:

  1. A  steady diet of noise: There are four kinds of food we consume everyday, edible food, sense impressions, volition, (will, concern, desire), and consciousness both individual and collective.
  2. Radio non-stop thinking: I love the author's use of the term, Radio NST (Non Stop Thinking), a problem that we are all are constantly plagued with. The act of NST loosens our grasp on both our physical self and consciousness.
  3. Thundering silence If your full life is full of hurrying noise or confusion it's easy to forget to be aware of the wholesome and supportive elements that are all around you, such as the fresh air, the sun and the trees. Feel joy and keep smiling as you breath. 
  4. Deep listening The best present is offering yourself, to those who want you. Say, a) Darling, I am here for you  b) Darling, I know you are there for me, and I am happy c) Darling, I know you suffer, that's why I am here for you. d) Darling, I suffer so much, please help 
  5. The power of stillness

"Waking up this morning I smile.

Twenty-four brand-new hours are before me.

I vow to live them deeply

and learn to look at everything around me with the eyes of compassion."

    6. Paying attention If we never suffer, there is no basis or impetus for developing understanding and compassion. Suffering is very important. We have to learn to recognize and even embrace sufferings as our awareness of it, helps us to grow. Recognizing suffering, embracing it and transforming it is an art. 

    7. Cultivating connection We need to stay connected through mindfullness. Nurture a loving silence. It is okay to sit for the sake of sitting. 

1.

I) "Breathing in, I know I'm breathing in.

Breathing out,  I know I'm breathing out.

(In, Out)

Breathing in, my breathe grows deep.

Breathing out, my breath grows slow.

(Deep, Slow)

Breathing in, I'm aware of my body.

Breathing out, I calm my body.

(Aware of body, Calming)

Breathing in, I smile.

Breathing out, I release.

(Smile, Release)

Breathing in, I dwell in the present moment.

Breathing out, I enjoy the present moment.

(Present moment. Enjoy)

_________________________

II)

Breathing in, I'm aware of my thoughts.

Breathing out, I'm aware of their impermanent nature.

(Thoughts, Impermanence)

Breathing in, I'm aware of my desire for wealth.

Breathing out, I'm aware that  wealth is impermanent.

(Desire for wealth, Impermanence)

Breathing in, I know that craving wealth can bring suffering.

Breathing out, I let go of craving.

(Aware of craving, Letting go)

Breathing in, I'm aware of my desire for sensual pleasures.

Breathing out, I know that sensual desire is   impermanentin nature.

(Sensual desire, Impermanence)

Breathing in, I Contemplate letting go,

Breathing out, I experience the joy of letting go.

(Contemplating letting go. Joy)

__________

VII) Breathing in, I see myself as a flower.

Breathing out, I feel fresh.

(Flower, fresh)

Breathing in, I see myself as a mountain.

Breathing out, I feel solid.

(Mountain, solid)

Breathing in, I see myself as still water.

Breathing out, I feel reflecting things as they are.

(Water, Reflection)

Breathing in, I see myself as a space.

Breathing out, I feel free."

(Space, Free)

 Mindful breaths truly can change everything.  We can respond to the call of the beauty around us: '' I am here. I am free. I hear you". With a smile. 

No comments: